Basketball game.

This is a discussion on Basketball game. within the Composition forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Last night I was shoting some shots in a kinda dark gym when i took a shot teir was no light in the picture it ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Last night I was shoting some shots in a kinda dark gym when i took a shot teir was no light in the picture it was dark so i changed the iso seting to like 800 and that brought up the light a little but the faster the shutter speed i got the dimmer everything got in the pic so I put the shutter spedd back down and it was all fuzzy but brighter camera settings? photoshop? have a D60 only had it for a month. tips???

PHOTO EDITING OK
    well...last night I shot at my cousins elementary school graduation( ) and the auditorium was pretty dark. I set the ISO to 400(That's the highest on my P&S) set the shutter speed around 1/80 and the aperture to f/3.8. Then I had to go back afterward and do some post-processing.

This made the pictures passable, but it's only a point and shot.
    I imagine on a DSLR you could set the ISO higher and the aperture
    lower.

It's important when you up the shutter speed to lower the aperture if you're doing fast photos.

Lower S-Speed, opened for longer- brighter, but can get blurry, so as low as you can get it w/o blur.
    Lower Ap number, the lens is opened wider, lets in more light- brighter

I imagine you know this, but just in case you don't
    ~Paula

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Gyms can be difficult, as the lighting is seldom very good, and usually worse than we realize, since our eyes have that wonderful ability to adapt. Here are some things that may help (many are just restating the previous post).

1) Use the largest aperture (i.e. smallest f-stop number) your lens is capable of. This is going to allow more light into the lens

2) As you saw, when you increase the shutter speed, it allows less exposure time and consequently less light. When you slowed the shutter, you got blur from the motion. It really depends on the sport, the level of play, and specifically what's going on, but generally you'll need a shutter speed of at around 1/500 to stop the action. . .slower if there's not much action, and faster if there's more action.

3) If the smallest f-stop your lens can handle along with the slowest shutter speed that prevents blur doesn't do the trick, then you need to increase your ISO. You may very well need an ISO up around 1600. From what I've seen, that's what many indoor sports photographers use. . .sometimes even higher, though they usually have a camera like the 1D series that's really going to help with higher ISOs.

4) If all else fails, I don't know what lens you're using now, but if its maximum f-stop is greater than about f/2.6, you may want to think about getting a different lens. I'd suggest a prime (i.e. not a zoom lens). With these lenses, although you sacrifice the ability to zoom, you can get a faster (i.e. wider aperture) lens without breaking the bank.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links