What the hell is going on?

This is a discussion on What the hell is going on? within the Casual Chat forums, part of the OTHER FORUMS category; I am gobsmacked by the way this forum is running, I used to be a proud member and have shared and learned great tips and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What the hell is going on?

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

What the hell is going on?

I am gobsmacked by the way this forum is running, I used to be a proud member and have shared and learned great tips and looked at great memories, but just lately it is has no moderation control what so ever, the only person as I can see is yorkshireman who is trying to hold it together... get a grip boys and gals, we all don't seek fame and fortune, just sharing is enough! If it is not in the nature of the owners to try and woo people to join then I will click on the other side!
    Dazzaone.
    slutskaya, bert and MountainRider like this.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    .. Get em Dazz! .. lol*
    Yah' I know what ya mean, kinda frustrating knowin' this place might not ever be as cool
    as it once was back in the good old days?
    I'm trying to be as optomistic as I can' knowin there's still a few good folks & friends on here.
    .. Weeding' through all the Spam Attacks is what sucks most*
    So blow off some steam' .. take a big breath and re-group, we're all here with you.

~ Don
    bert and MountainRider like this.
    "Donalds Camera" (Nikon user) *
    ~ Take a picture, .. it'll last longer ~

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    When you say "no moderation", what do you mean? I can't speak for anyone else, but I generally try to read through every new post daily just to make sure they're all ok.

Personally for me, this changes how I interact... I'll describe.

Before becoming a mod, I didn't necessarily try to look at every new post. This meant that whenever I found something I wanted to comment on, I could take the time to write a reply. Since I have a full-time job and moderation is performed by non-paid volunteers (the moderators are not employees... we're members just like everyone else) I may only have a limited amount of time to browse though. In that time I try to make sure I check every new post. The time spent 'moderating' the spam posts detracts from the time I'd like to spend interacting.

Much of this happens "behind the scenes". I'll notice, for example, that someone joined the forum and began spamming and I have to delete the posts and ban the user. Photo Forum allows certain types of links in signatures ... for example if you have an online photo website where you post your photos you include a link (as long as it doesn't break any of the rules.) But I've noticed that some users will join, create a signature with a link which advertises some product or service unrelated to photography -- then "participate" in the forums by posting simple one-liner replies as if their true goal is to pump up the hit results for their company or product in a Google search. I have two choices... I can ban them on the spot, or... I can ask them to remove the link which doesn't comply with the rules. Usually I send them an email reminding them of the rules and asking them to correct their signatures (unfortunately while a moderator can edit the message text of any post, I am not aware of a way to edit a signature.) If I don't hear back from them in a few days, I assume it was a drive-by spammer who just created the account... posted as many replies as they could (to increase the number of times a link to their website showed up), and left -- never planning to return again. So I have to delete their posts and ban them (since I can't just remove the signature.)

If you see spam -- or anything else that you think needs the attention of a moderator, you can report it. The user interface looks just slightly different for mods... each message has a few extra links that allows us to perform moderator actions (move a post to a different message board, edit the message, delete it, etc.) But there is one link I see that says "Report Post" and I think everyone sees that link. If you report it, we get a message AND Photo Forum sends me an email (so I know about it even if I don't happen to be on the website.) That lets us know about problem posts much quicker than we otherwise find them on our own. I try to skim the forums while I'm at work -- and then go through everything in the evening when I'm done with work. That means that for me personally, a post might be here for perhaps half a day before I know about it.

When I moderate and see spam, I generally just delete it. You wouldn't know the post ever existed. There's an option to soft-delete that leaves a place-holder where the post used to be and allows moderators to restore the post later if they change their mind -- I generally don't use that option (but I didn't think non-moderators could see the place-holder.) Hardly a day goes by that I don't have to remove something.

The thing to keep in mind is that we are members ... pretty much just like everyone else. And like everyone else, we are interested in having an active community free of spam just as much as you are.

If there are any concerns I haven't addressed or if there's anything you'd rather ask privately, send me or any other moderator a private message and we'll do our best.

Best Regards,
    Tim
    Last edited by TCampbell; 03-27-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Tim Campbell

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by TCampbell View Post
    When you say "no moderation", what do you mean? I can't speak for anyone else, but I generally try to read through every new post daily just to make sure they're all ok.

Personally for me, this changes how I interact... I'll describe.

Before becoming a mod, I didn't necessarily try to look at every new post. This meant that whenever I found something I wanted to comment on, I could take the time to write a reply. Since I have a full-time job and moderation is performed by non-paid volunteers (the moderators are not employees... we're members just like everyone else) I may only have a limited amount of time to browse though. In that time I try to make sure I check every new post. The time spent 'moderating' the spam posts detracts from the time I'd like to spend interacting.

Much of this happens "behind the scenes". I'll notice, for example, that someone joined the forum and began spamming and I have to delete the posts and ban the user. Photo Forum allows certain types of links in signatures ... for example if you have an online photo website where you post your photos you include a link (as long as it doesn't break any of the rules.) But I've noticed that some users will join, create a signature with a link which advertises some product or service unrelated to photography -- then "participate" in the forums by posting simple one-liner replies as if their true goal is to pump up the hit results for their company or product in a Google search. I have two choices... I can ban them on the spot, or... I can ask them to remove the link which doesn't comply with the rules. Usually I send them an email reminding them of the rules and asking them to correct their signatures (unfortunately while a moderator can edit the message text of any post, I am not aware of a way to edit a signature.) If I don't hear back from them in a few days, I assume it was a drive-by spammer who just created the account... posted as many replies as they could (to increase the number of times a link to their website showed up), and left -- never planning to return again. So I have to delete their posts and ban them (since I can't just remove the signature.)

If you see spam -- or anything else that you think needs the attention of a moderator, you can report it. The user interface looks just slightly different for mods... each message has a few extra links that allows us to perform moderator actions (move a post to a different message board, edit the message, delete it, etc.) But there is one link I see that says "Report Post" and I think everyone sees that link. If you report it, we get a message AND Photo Forum sends me an email (so I know about it even if I don't happen to be on the website.) That lets us know about problem posts much quicker than we otherwise find them on our own. I try to skim the forums while I'm at work -- and then go through everything in the evening when I'm done with work. That means that for me personally, a post might be here for perhaps half a day before I know about it.

When I moderate and see spam, I generally just delete it. You wouldn't know the post ever existed. There's an option to soft-delete that leaves a place-holder where the post used to be and allows moderators to restore the post later if they change their mind -- I generally don't use that option (but I didn't think non-moderators could see the place-holder.) Hardly a day goes by that I don't have to remove something.

The thing to keep in mind is that we are members ... pretty much just like everyone else. And like everyone else, we are interested in having an active community free of spam just as much as you are.

If there are any concerns I haven't addressed or if there's anything you'd rather ask privately, send me or any other moderator a private message and we'll do our best.

Best Regards,
    Tim
    Speaking as an experienced photographer who has been on several web sites, Tim, you are by far, the most professional moderator I have ever come across. Keep up the great work.

Cameron

Equipment
    Canon Rebel Xs
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I been a member here for a month or two, so I don't know what the site "use" to be like. I made an introduction when I came here, went ignored. Not saying anyone should've replied, but it's a way for one like me to test the atmosphere. I can tell theres a great group here. The way some of you people use photoshop is magical! I look forward to learning from everyone of you. I love taking photo's and looking at them. There is a lot of greatness to this forum. That being said I think the context (minus the spam) is good, but the interaction may be effected aggravated members sifting through spam? Just a thought.

vbulletin, has a couple different ways to stop spam. I think it could be dealt with easily, if a mod wants pm me and I can help you out in what to look for. If your trying to delete as quick as you can, your working to hard.
    MountainRider and bert like this.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sorry Tim, no disrespect intended on you and your time you put into the site, it's the owners I am on about, where is the administrator, how come we don't know them, they should be the ones maintaining the content submited, for example look at contests and contest results sections, there is posts in there that shouldn't be. When MOD was in charge these things wouldn't have happened, maybe I have been spoilt by when I joined when I did and the group of people who were around then were more astute but we seem to have lost them, there's a few of the old gang still popping in and it's great to see them and also new and talented people coming along. I realy do want to stay with this site as I have learned and shared some great moments and want to continue in that journey.
    MountainRider and bert like this.

Equipment
    I use 35mm film, instant film and digital cameras
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Perhaps the problem is partly due to the size of the forum compared to the number of regular users. There are a staggering 23 galleries, not including the project or school areas, and this seems a very high number compared to the amount of posting going on. In my view it would make more sense to cut down on the quantity and service the forum from a quality angle.

Actually, apart from the weekly themes and the alphabet game, little interaction occurs between members as things stand. By streamlining things a bit it may be that people would feel less swamped by it all and get a little more active.

I enjoy this forum but think that a lot could be done to improve on things.
    Kiasmum and MountainRider like this.
    Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I have to agree with Dazz ~ Where are the admins?
    As Dazz has already stated, when MOD was owner/admin these things wouldn't have happened because he was around here almost everyday checking on things & welcoming newcomers. He also commented on images & posted a few of his own.
    I have yet to see one of the new owners/admins post a pic or comment on one.....

Another problem as I see it is the loss of moderators.
    Dane has moved on, Sue was still here for awhile but I haven't seen her around for a few months now & George has health problems that limit his time.

Don't get me wrong, 'Tim does a Great Job' (and so does George!) but having been a mod on two other forums, I know how hard it is for one man or woman to take care of the problems, respond to posts & still have time to welcome new people joining the forum especially when they are also working a full time job.

And no.....having health problems myself, I don't want the job.
    Last edited by MountainRider; 03-29-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    bert likes this.
    Nikon D300 - Nikkor 18-55VR, 55-200, 70-300VR - Sigma 50-500 (Bigma)
    Bogen Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, & Ballheads
    All stuffed into two Pelican waterproof cases.

Equipment
    I use 35mm film, instant film and digital cameras
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    That the administrator hasn't responded to this thread is probably very telling. The words take it or leave it spring to mind. Well, since the forum is subscription free that's fair enough, if a little disappointing. For my part, I shall continue to post in the hope that things pick up a little in future.
    bert likes this.
    Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Berg View Post
    That the administrator hasn't responded to this thread is probably very telling. The words take it or leave it spring to mind. Well, since the forum is subscription free that's fair enough, if a little disappointing. For my part, I shall continue to post in the hope that things pick up a little in future.
    Well I'll stick around too Fred ~ That is until they boot my ugly old butt outa here...
    As much as I hate all the changes that have happened, I still love this forum!
    Last edited by MountainRider; 03-29-2012 at 04:00 AM.
    slutskaya and bert like this.
    Nikon D300 - Nikkor 18-55VR, 55-200, 70-300VR - Sigma 50-500 (Bigma)
    Bogen Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, & Ballheads
    All stuffed into two Pelican waterproof cases.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links