Squirrel on nuts (funny photo, is it real?)

This is a discussion on Squirrel on nuts (funny photo, is it real?) within the Casual Chat forums, part of the OTHER FORUMS category; Is the image below genuine or has it been manipulated? What artefacts or such can you spot, if any? Arguments pro genuinity: Squirrels do hoard ...

Is the image below genuine or has it been manipulated? What artefacts or such can you spot, if any?

Arguments pro genuinity:
    Squirrels do hoard nuts.
    In Southern Europe they do collect walnuts specifically.

Arguments contra genuinity:
    They do hoard nuts, but mostly in holes, not on open ground.
    Squirrels rarely sit on their nuts.
    How come this one happened to stare straight into the camera?

Well, the photo is black and white, so maybe it's old and this kind of photo opportunity should happen sooner or later. But maybe B/W:ing a photo is just a way to facilitate manipulation?

Second question:
    If the photo looks genuine to you all, then could it feasibly be colorized in a realistic way?

Red face

Maybe this thread should be moved to "Photo Manipulation", the sub forum at the very bottom of this forum site? I didn't see it when I looked around first, but so I'm a newbe here... I do think it'll do better down there, for the purpose of my question.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Are you serious about this question?

I would say this is totally manipulated. The pile is too well formed to be holding a fat squirel like that. His feet look like they have been photoshopped onto the pile. What's up with the foamy looking tree behind him? What's hanging between his legs? Those little furry berries he has there? Maybe this should be moved to the nude forum?
    ~Crystal~
    Canon 20d
    Lover of natural light (because I can't figure out artificial light!). LOL
    Everyone is born with a photographic memory; some people just don't have the film.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    it's hard to tell from such a small photo, but it's also possible someone put out a pile of nuts to attract the squirrel, and when the little fella hopped over to grab one, he got his photo snapped... if you have a larger image, it might help...

I've actaully asked a biology museum if this photo could represent natural squirrel behavior. They guessed that the photographer had put a pile of nuts on the ground in a park and waited for a squirrel to find the treasure. Because squirrels never put nuts in piles like that, instead they hide them. But if I found a heap of money on the ground, I might go mad enough to sit on it!

Anyway, it isn't very likely that a squirrel would climb a pile of nuts like that. And thinking about it, gravitation maybe doesn't seem completely realistic, although they are very lightweight creatures. Is there anyway to see how the feets are photoshoped, if they are?

The fuzzy dark stuff to the right in the photo, is probably a tree or a stone clad with humid vegetation.

I still think that the question hasn't been resolved. Sooner or later someone will take a picture like this, right? Since it is a black-and-white photo it might be old, increasing the odds for it to actually have happened. Is there anyway to see if it has been made black and white in order to cover up a forgery?

The squirrel and the nuts are sharp, but the background is blurred. Is that a realistic result for, say, an old B/W camera?

I don't have a larger photo. Is there a way to search for it on the internet by using the data in this photo? It's maybe been a thumbnail for the full resolution photo.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Great, thanks! How did you do that?

Anyway, does it seem genuine or manipulated? Is there a way to discover that?

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Well looking at this womans gallery she has lots of manipulated images

Well looking at this womans gallery she has lots of manipulated images
    Yeah, that golf green poster of hers doesn't look really real. I suppose that closes the case. Squirrels don't sit on nuts.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links