Hats off to Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III

This is a discussion on Hats off to Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III within the Casual Chat forums, part of the OTHER FORUMS category; Thoughts with you guys over there after seeing the A320 in the Hudson River, the USA has this morning a new Hero in the Captain ...

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thoughts with you guys over there after seeing the A320 in the Hudson River, the USA has this morning a new Hero in the Captain who flew this aircraft into a controlled crash landing and I certainly take my hat off to him. This hero will certainly be in my thoughts today as Bob (Tyke) and I head out to visit an aircraft museum near York which will bring back memories of many other hero's.

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    A true hero along with his whole crew!
    Rob
    Nikon D300 & D70 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon 18-70mm | Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300mm VR
    Olympus EVOLT E-500 | Zuiko 14-45mm | Zuiko 40-150mm | OM - 4/3 adapter | Assorted OM lenses
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

PHOTO EDITING OK
    "In 1995, all 24 aboard an AWACS plane taking off from Elmendorf Air Force Base near Anchorage, Alaska, died after the aircraft hit three dozen geese. By contrast, Thursday's crash of a US Airways flight out of New York's LaGuardia Airport, presumed to have been caused by a collision with birds, didn't kill any of the 155 people on the plane. Most often, experts say, birds cause dings and dents or break windshields, but nobody is seriously hurt." (quote)

Now feeding of Geese in Anchorage is discouraged if not illegal, and a falconer gets to hunt at Anchorage International Airport!

I have not heard the whole story but if he lost both engines due to FOD and did a soft touch down in the Hudson he did allot better than I do in flight simulator!
    BUY IT FROM OUR CAMERA STORE!

Nikon D200 came with 70-300 mm 1:4.5 lens......AF-S NIKKOR 17-55mm 1:2.8 (wide)......AF-S NIKKOR 50MM 1:1.4G
    Nikon D300 came with AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor ED 200-400 mm f/4 G IF
    Mamiya RB67 with 90mm f/3.5 180mm f/4.5

My flicker page

PHOTO EDITING OK
    more info...pilot was ex-Air force F4 Phantom fighter pilot...well trained!!!

Yesterday I found a new hero, Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III.

Rob
    Nikon D300 & D70 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon 18-70mm | Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300mm VR
    Olympus EVOLT E-500 | Zuiko 14-45mm | Zuiko 40-150mm | OM - 4/3 adapter | Assorted OM lenses
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yeah, it was quite amazing.. sorry I didn't have time to get there with the camera.

FYI - they're calling this the most successful "water landing" ever. Before this, it was one in Africa where 25 out of 175 people survived. Really amazing.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    more info...pilot was ex-Air force F4 Phantom fighter pilot...well trained!!!

Yesterday I found a new hero, Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III.
    Also heard he was a recreational glider pilot, and that experience may have been useful as well. What an amazing story.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Guys I think this guy should receive the highest civilian honour you guys give - I would certainly like the shake his hand.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links