I hate my job

This is a discussion on I hate my job within the Casual Chat forums, part of the OTHER FORUMS category; Persistence is key and as a professional it takes 70% people skills, 20% creativity, and 10% pushing the button to make it in this biz. ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I hate my job

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Persistence is key and as a professional it takes 70% people skills, 20% creativity, and 10% pushing the button to make it in this biz.
    Owh no. I've doomed. that is, my quest tobe a professional photographer is doomed if I need 70% people skills. Anyone reading my posts knows by now I am lacking in tack, common sense, and opinionated

I hoping that going the "fine-art" route keeps me from the 70% part. That still leaves 30% to worry about.

Now I would like to relate a stroy. Over 30 years ago, when I was 26 and my father was 51, we traveled across the US on our way to Mexico. My father was dying of lymphocarcinoma (cancer of the lymph system). The quack treatment of last hope was almond therapy in a mexican clinic. We were passing through Colorad Springs and we were deciding whether or not to visit the chapelle at the Airforce Academy. My father said, "we may never pass this way again" Time waits for no one.

I know how hard it can be. I'm there now myself. I have been quasi-unemployed for 5 years. I'm a stay at home dad. Mostly because at my age in Switzerland, it's nearly impossible to find a job. (over 50 and you're history in the job market, over 46 for women). I have wanted to be a professional photographer for years. My dream used to be to open a gallery of my work. If only a could win the lotto, or make a killing in the stock market, I could afford to open a gallery whether or not it made any money.

My wife does very well and is very supportive but it is only after five years of trying to find an alternative career that I have moved toward being a professional photographer, and I still needed a little push from my wife. Next week I will put my best work into a display case we've rented. I wouldn't have done it, but she signed the lease. The biggest hurdle of all is self doubt. Will I make it? I don't know. But it beats the alternatives.

What am I trying to say, beat's me As trite as it sounds, "Do or do not, there is no try". Anything else is just a pipe-dream ( never though of it, but I'll bet that is a drug reference).
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Good luck Charles! I hope you have good success!
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Charles,
    You have wonderful photos, I'm sure you'll do well.
    Steve J

Network Engineer,
    Web Master and
    Photographer

Follow me @sjj57 on Twitter and on Facebook and LinkedIn

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Good luck charles!

And thanks to everyone for chiming in on my venting.

I have made some flyers, and will be posting them on some local bulletin boards, if that does well we shall see what comes next!
    ~*!erin!*~
    website
    flickr
    jpg
    Canon Digital Rebel XT
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6
    Canon EF 35-80mm f/1:4-5.6

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks all for the support.

I think what I was trying to say was 26 becomes 56 before you know it. Oh, don't get me wrong. Even unemployed there are many people that would trade my life for theirs. It's been mostly magic. Just hoping there's still some magic left.

(Almost 30 years together, today's our natural born son's 8th birthday. Anthing else is icing)

I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Erin...just reading this thread for the first time. I think in order to make a "living" something similar to your $13 an hour-3 days a week you'd have to work your tail off or have a lot of resources at your disposal. Get the training you need first to become technically proficient. I've seen your work and you already have your own style which should market well. Don't give up the day job unless you have everything else in order first. I have been off work for 6 months-going back on Monday to something new...and made some money, but not nearly as much as my old day job. I didn't work by choice to get acclimated to our new home/town. I happened to try pursuing my dream while I was not working. I found it tough to move forward without enough $ to market myself and buy equipment-not to mention get more training. It's a very expensive hobby and an even more expensive career.

Write down realistic goals for yourself and see how well you do at meeting those goals before you give up the day job. I did that before I decided to go back to work. I set up a goal of a specific amount of paid sessions I wanted to get per month and gave it three months. Although I came very close to my goal-I didn't quite reach it...so I'm going back to a day job. Now I have a new goal and if I am to reach it I will be able to pursue photography full time again. The day job will enable me to fully market myself in the ways I want, take in more training and buy all the equipment I need. It's a win-win for now! I also purposely chose a job that won't stress me out so that I can keep up with photography on the weekends and editing.

I haven't ever hated my day jobs...I make sure I deal with people and that makes my heart go into the job no matter what my duties are at the moment. Think of it as extra connections for photography if you must!

Good luck to you and everybody who's not sure yet!
    Heather

My Blog

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I jumped off the habitrail more than 20 years ago. The fact that I didn't have kids made that pretty easy for me. I wanted a more simple existence. I was tired of being owned by my house and my car, and my employer.

The fact that I don't care about a lot of the things that other people seem to think they need, made the transition worthwhile to me. But I don't recommend it to anyone else!!

I have had many jobs, and I have made several runs at small businesses. All of the businesses were started with insufficient start-up capital, and I believe that was a key factor in ... I don't want to say "failure", because each experience has been valuable beyond dollars. Suffice to say that none of my entreprenerial ventures have ever made enough to support me in a style that most people would find adequate. I don't regret a single one of them.

I have worked for a portrait studio and hated that, because there was no creative freedom, just cookie-cutter poses, and memos about how it cost the studio $1 for every shot, so "let's not waste any film doing retakes". I tried my own vintage portrait studio. Talk about multi-tasking! I was busier than Jen Weaver on Red Bull ... and I was as usual, underfunded, and unable to advertise and promote the biz properly.

Kevin's linked article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/go-pro.htm was right on the money, IMO.

It's all about marketing and self-promotion. I know ONE photographer who makes a very modest income from photography, and it is not because her talent and skills are extraordinary, but because she invests so much time and energy in marketing and promotion -- not just her work, but her "persona" -- people buy her work as much for their perception of what she represents, and who they perceive her to be, as for the quality of the images.

IMO, now people expect a certain product from this artist, so she just continues to crank out the same old style of composition "fine art", and is locked into that form. A process doomed to fail in the long run, because it no longer has soul or passion, but is merely a means of survival. Might as well work in a factory; the benefits would be better.

I have been doing a lot of thinking on this subject lately, and I know the time has come for me to put together a marketing strategy, and get serious about the business end of things.

I didn't read this thread before, because I thought, "I hate my job" didn't have any application for me --- since I don't have a job to hate. Good discussion, though!

"Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    P.S. -- "Pipe dream" is a reference to the Native American peyote pipe vision quest.
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Ok...let me rephrase this for everyone who is taking the "I hate my job" so literally. I don't HATE my job. I just dislike it. I love the majority of the people I work with, even tho most of them get on my nerves a lot. I like the responsibility I have. I am in charge of the company advertising, so I pretty much design and am in charge of keeping the company looking good. I get to figit with pictures (although they are of houses)..I still get to play in PS on a daily basis.

The downside of course is the real estate market is not so good right now, so business is slow. Even tho I am only here 3 days a week I find myself trying to scrape up things to do during the day. And that makes me not like it.

I am a multi tasker from birth. If I am not doing 30 different things at once I'm bored...and I find it hard to concentrate. Like right now, I have 2 things that I have to get done. They will take me a total of maybe 30 minutes to do. It's 10am.....I have till 4 when I leave. So what the heck do I do with the other 6 hours? I could be out shooting, but here I am with nothing to do. This is where my dillema comes into play.

Not to mention....there are 3 hourly/salary employees here. The other 35 are commission based realtors. So, no insurance. Do I want to be in a job for the next 45 years where I don't even get insurance? Probably not, but can I get another where I like the people I work with for 13/hour. Nope. ugh.

My mom has been saying for ever 'I want my own business.' She has thought about it forever. I'm talking 25 years. She has gone from thrift shop, to ice cream shop, to hippie shop.....you name it she considered it. But she never went for it. I suggested something to her last week. We could rent a building together, have her "whatever shop" in one half and my studio in the other. Now she is 47, she said she is over it and just wants to relax. She has been a stay at home mom her entire life. About 10 years ago she learned the bagpipes and has been doing that for a bit of spending cash...I guess that is enough for her now.

I don't think she regrets never having her own business...but who knows. I just don't want to regret never going for it.

I made the flyers, but never hung them up...they are still in the visor of my car. I don't know why I didn't hang them.

My father is a judge. I guess maybe I don't want my name (his name) and phone number plastered everywhere for every convict to see. ??? Maybe I will wait till I am married and have a different last name.

~*!erin!*~
    website
    flickr
    jpg
    Canon Digital Rebel XT
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6
    Canon EF 35-80mm f/1:4-5.6

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Post it without your name.

RuJu Photography
    Your e-mail address
    A link to your blog

You don't even need your name....the name of the business is enough.

They can go to your blog, see your work, and then e-mail you for jobs.

I've gotten 2 jobs just from my blog alone. I don't have my phone number posted anywhere right now. The jobs I got were through an e-mail and then I called the customers to talk after replying back and forth by e-mail.

Make a new flyer with your 6 hours today and after work - GO HANG THEM UP!
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links