Over Manipulatd Crap

This is a discussion on Over Manipulatd Crap within the Casual Chat forums, part of the OTHER FORUMS category; http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/farid/re...italtampering/ Great link btw. Loved reading it. [/quote] It was a great read but it is more a compilation of famous fakes than anything. I ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Great link btw. Loved reading it.
    [/quote]
    It was a great read but it is more a compilation of famous fakes than anything. I do think that this points out one of the problems of stock photos; they can be any kind of mis-representation and the original photographer can not add an anotation to the images so that it is clear the image is a manipulation.

But one should also note that most of the images in the article were manipulated using traditional commercial photography tools; darkroom manipulation, air brush, etc. The question of photographic manipulation is as old as photography. It is just that digital darkroom techniques puts a darkroom in the hands of every one. And as before, some can use the aribrush and other can't. But the playing field has become flatter.

When you do darkroom work you always do a test strip to determine the "right exposure" for a print. If the negative is not quit right you can add a filter or chose a paper that will help to "bring out" the image as you see it. If I know the film didn't get properly exposed, I can push process the film, use stonger chemicals, or shorten the development time. If part of the image is too dark, you can dodge it using a mask. If it's too light you can burn it in using a mask. In the darkroom I can solarize the image; I can invert it, twist and do most of the things I would do to "fix" it in Photoshop. Photoshop just makes it easier without all the chemical mess.

So the real question is should an image be manipulated, period! To debate anything else, is to debate the wrong question.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

All great painting are nothing more than manipulated paint.

say cheeseburger!!!

MICROSOFT DIGITAL IMAGE PRO 9

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I don't know, maybe we have strayed from the original post. Are you sick of over-manipulated crap. To that I say YES. Should you avoid any manipulation whatsoever? To that I say NO. We should start a poll.
    1. no manipulation
    2. basic maipulation, exposure brightness/contrast
    3. moderate manipluatio: the above plus tastful use of hue/saturation
    4. manipluted until there's somone if there, but its not me
    5. total fabrication resulting in no original colors or photo elements remaining in the image (perfered by most editors)
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I think I'm the one who got everyone off topic, when I said that some people consider images straight from the camera with no manipulation, while others feel that some adjustments in photoshop (or any photo editing program) can still be considered a photo..I think a good manipulation from an image is when the photo is technically correct to begin with though..you can't take a crappy photo and try to make it "art" just because the image came out overexposed, out of focus, etc.. but like I say in all my posts-thats just my opinion. Look at the thread called "photo art" LOL some of my old manipulations are pretty funny now, but I thought they were good back when I did them sometimes I get bored with the simple adjustments so I start messing with my images..not really trying to create anything in particular, but it's fun when you are bored!

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Great topic!

The debate will continue, even beyone the time when digital is replaced by something else.

Great imagery begins with a great (well-composed and well-lighted) image.
    What happens after that, is a matter for the artist to decide.
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Canadian Captioneer
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I think art is art is art is art, and everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their own artwork and its noones place to say what is better, or more pure, you can have a preference, but I always get irked by the elitism that comes with those who believe that not updating with technology gives you some sort of artistic edge over others. I think shooting and using no post-production is great, and I think using tons and tons of post production is great, its all art in the end right and its all subjective.
    Cannon Ixus I5

Cannon EOS 350D

Website: www.freewebs.com/alexmacks (B&W section currently down)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Dude... I think you are WAY off base here. Basically, you're saying that you prefer non-edited images, or as you put it, stuff that's not "over-manipulated crap". Well then, you have the right to that, and I hope you find stuff you enjoy. However, not everyone views it as that.

As far as your comment "put down the editor and start taking better pictures.", that's a pretty rude thing to say. And besides, you can't do anything with a bad image.

Canadian Captioneer
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Dude... I think you are WAY off base here. Basically, you're saying that you prefer non-edited images, or as you put it, stuff that's not "over-manipulated crap". Well then, you have the right to that, and I hope you find stuff you enjoy. However, not everyone views it as that.

As far as your comment "put down the editor and start taking better pictures.", that's a pretty rude thing to say. And besides, you can't do anything with a bad image.
    Yup! Thats an extremely succint way to put what I was trying to say in my rant above, you can't judge people for taking advantage of new advancements in the field in which they are passionate.
    Cannon Ixus I5

Cannon EOS 350D

Website: www.freewebs.com/alexmacks (B&W section currently down)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Boy this debate can really open a can of worms. Kind of like what is the best camera system Canon or Nikon or what is the best tripod.

Anyways, I shot film for a long time and I now shoot entirely digital. I think the only reason I would go back to film is if I decide to start shooting large format. I like the fact the I can do many of the processes sitting at my computer instead of standing in a room full of chemicals for hours. I will admit I've seen over saturated photos that make me want to close my eyes or turn away. I also know that it would've been pretty difficult to take a series of photos of the inside of a theater auditorium (see link below). If it wasn't for the ability to do HDR I'm not sure I could've really captured and documented the room properly.

A good image starts with the photographer understanding composition and light. The next step is the camera and the media he/she uses to capture that moment in time. The final step is the print whether it be electronic or a print you can hold in your hands. For years you could manipulate the negative and the final print in the darkroom. I don't see any difference between now and then. Nowadays instead of a darkroom I work in LightroomŪ.

http://photos.kevinsakyphotography.com/gal...262587771_NNN9w

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Talk about a subject that can bring out debate. I'm not a big fan of photoshop images, but then again I don't consider myself an "artist". I started taking pictures using a medium format b&w film camera and developed the rolls myself. The goal was to find a great shot and take the picture correctly, if I got it wrong it was a lost opportunity only "manipulation" really dealt with how long I chose to leave the negative in the chemicals and how I printed it. I still carry that over into digital, I do very little manipulation of any image, pretty much just the basics if necessary, I don't even own Photoshop nor was I ever able to master it when I had access to it....

I think we'll end up with at least 2 camps here, those that take pictures for the sake of the image and those that are in it for the art and heavily manipulate their images. Personally I love Photoshoped but it becomes like any art, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We have artists who may be photographers and photographers who may be artists, don't think there is or should be one right answer to this question, although technology really made this much easier.
    Steve J

Network Engineer,
    Web Master and
    Photographer

Follow me @sjj57 on Twitter and on Facebook and LinkedIn

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links