Sensor Testing and Cleaning

This is a discussion on Sensor Testing and Cleaning within the Camera Handling and Caring forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Good morning, I know the subject of sensor cleaning has come up on the forum in the past. I just wrote two articles on the ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Good morning,

I know the subject of sensor cleaning has come up on the forum in the past. I just wrote two articles on the subject that might shed some more light on the subject. It's important to understand the the costs and risks associated with sensor cleaning before you decide the approach that is right for you.

The first article deals with how to test your sensor to determine the amount of accumulated dust. Including the use of Photoshop's "Equalize" function to help make the dust spots more visible.

The second article presents several methods for cleaning a dirty sensor and their costs as well as the risk involved.

Hope you find this helpful.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks Hub - all good stuff

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks Hub - all good stuff

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Very informative. Your next update should include some prices for sensor replacement for those brave enough to attempt the technique themselves.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi C.S.,

According to the estimates I researched: The cost of sensor replacement is dependent upon the particular camera. But the range is from $250 to $800. A convincing argument for allowing a professional to do the same work for about $40 to $50.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

Full-Time
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I had to do mine recently.
    Dead easy.

This is a good explination of what to do.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRo7pJRkUhs

NOTE: The camera should be pointing down at ALL times. Best to use a tripod so you have both hands free. Plus you get to see the dust and whatnot fall out the camera

I use the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse Fluid as well. Again, I did it with the camera facing down.

The Swabs are silly expensive (£30 for 12), but when I got them I also got a 100 pack of Pec Pads for about £10.
    I'm keeping the used swab sticks and I figured I can make 2 swabs from per PEC pad.
    So unless I lose the PEC pads then I don't need to buy any more ever again unless I get a camera with a different sensor size

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links