nikon d40

This is a discussion on nikon d40 within the Camera Handling and Caring forums, part of the Photography Tips category; hey, i'm wanting to get to know my camera more so i can quit shooting in programed auto and start shooting in manual so i ...

Thread: nikon d40

hey,
    i'm wanting to get to know my camera more so i can quit shooting in programed auto and start shooting in manual so i can set the shutter speed and apurature i need some help and suggestions.
    nikon D40 AF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED lens

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Start by reading the manual if you haven't already.

Secondly, start shooting in manual outside with good lighting so you don't have to worry about the flash. You can add that in later when you get comfortable shooting on manual. Then adjust the aperture to what you want 5.6 for example. Then look through the viewfinder you should see the light meter in the bottom right corner....it looks similar to this +........0........- turn the dial on the back of the camera left or right until the arrow lands on the zero. Finally snap your picture. Play around with different f stops. Also if it is extremly bright outside you can experiment with underexposing the picture. If your pictures are coming out too bright because you are shooting in extremly bright light, turn the dial so that the arrow lands just left of the zero.

Also if you know what shutter speed you want to shoot at you can use the Shutter Priority Mode (S). Just turn the dial on the back to set the shutter speed and the camera with select the appropriate f stop. Or if you want to shoot using a specific aperature use the aperature priority mode (A). Set the f/stop you want and let the camera select the shutter speed.

I hope this helps somewhat. Its alot to explain in such a short post. Also my knowledge is limited compared to others here so I know if I left something out they with jump in I know I have enjoyed getting to know my D40 and experimenting with all it has to offer. Have fun!

~Elizabeth

Nikon D90
    Nikon D40
    Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF; Nikon 18-55mm AF-S; Nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S, Nikon 18-105mm VR

My Photobucket Albums

thanks alot i will fiddle around with the camera and see wat happens
    nikon D40 AF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED lens

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I switched to manual after reading this book.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links