cold weather

This is a discussion on cold weather within the Camera Handling and Caring forums, part of the Photography Tips category; just like bread.. leave your camera case open to inside air after coming in from the cold, or you may get condensation damage...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold weather

just like bread.. leave your camera case open to inside air after coming in from the cold, or you may get condensation damage
    say cheeseburger!!!

MICROSOFT DIGITAL IMAGE PRO 9

Probably the worst case scenario is taking pictures of the kids making their first snow man, and then going into a hot, humid kitchen to photograph Grandma taking the ham out of the oven.

If possible, when coming indoors on frigid days, park your camera in a mud room or enclosed porch for as long as possible, to let the temperature stabilize a little before bringing it into a humid indoor room..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panasonic LZ5, and now Panasonic FZ50.
    I have been doing mostly hot rod car shows but recently got the nature bug (bad pun intended).

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    If I am ever going out on a cold dark night I always throw the camera bag in the car an hour before I set off.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Condensation does not only happen when you bring your camera from a cold to a warm environment. One must also take caution when taking photos inside a cold room when the outside environment is very warm.

Keeping the camera inside water proof cases helps in preventing condensation problems. I think you can also use tightly secured plastic bags to do the job.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I thought I was the only nut when it came to condensation. My Mom always laughs at the plastic shopping bag I carry with me. I seal my camera up in it before bring it in out of the cold, and let it warm up in it. The condensation forms on the bag instead of my camera.
    -Michael
    CC Always welcome and appreciated.
    My Flickr

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Here's another condensation causing mishap - when shooting outside in the cold temps your warm breath. Cover your mouth and nose with a ski mask or scarf.
    ~Vinnie

The Black Dog's Photographer
    Minolta Maxxum 7D
    Fuji FinePix S7000
    Minolta x-700
    Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super B
    Seneca Folding Scout
    Holga 120N
    Polariod One Step

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Only problem I've had with moisture, was on a very hot and sunny beach.

What I didn't realise was that each time I held the camera near my face to take a photo, all that sweat evaporating from my face, was steaming up the camera lens.
    My photo blog
    I use a Canon EOS 40D + various lenses.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Average temperature-One important thing to bear in mind in caring for your camera is the temperature of the room where you store it. Usually, newbies tend to expose their cameras in extremely hot temperatures. Always keep it away from the sun and store it in average room temperature.
    Caring for the lens-The lens is the most important part of the camera. It is the eye to the outside world. To take care of the lens, do not touch it directly with your fingers. Keep the lens cap on when you are not shooting. If it really needs cleaning, choose a good lens cleaning equipment. Invest on a good lens brush, lens blower and lens cloth.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I thought I was the only nut when it came to condensation. My Mom always laughs at the plastic shopping bag I carry with me. I seal my camera up in it before bring it in out of the cold, and let it warm up in it. The condensation forms on the bag instead of my camera.
    I keep a 2 gallon ziplock in my bag for this purpose, also in case of sudden rain.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Equipment
    Canon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    What a great and easy tip. I will have to remember to keep some with me. Thanks.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links