What do you think about this photo?

This is a discussion on What do you think about this photo? within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; the cropped version is better! looks great...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Equipment
    Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    the cropped version is better! looks great

Over the years a few have said the cropped version looked better. I dont agree with that. It looks just like it is a photo with the top cut off. The subjects head is too close to the top edge of the cropped photo while the bottom has more space. The body is too high for balance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original since the balance is good.
    I wont shoot a wedding for any amount of money.

PHOTO EDITING OK

Quote Originally Posted by sarrasani View Post
    good subject, well composed image. I find OK the sharpness and the tones of the subject, I'm less convinced by the background (that neither sharp nor bokeh I find so-so).
    all the best.
    I share the point of @sarrasani
    In my feeling the background is a bit nervous and thereby disturbing.

This is probably also the reason why the crop version finds so much support.

My approach - having that picture as starting point - would be to either crop (possibly different from the example above- and if intended so, using some vignetting) or soften the background in post.

- or , while taking the picture, using a wider aperture

Jerry, you find the background nervous and disturbing? Id say that says more about you than the photo. Its a simple street scene background out of focus making the subject pop out towards the viewer. I guess you would prefer to just close crop the subject and toss away the background. Well to each his own I guess, shaking my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Chowles View Post
    the cropped version is better! looks great
    Simply saying its better isnt enough. On what do you base your statement?

PHOTO EDITING OK

Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Jerry, you find the background nervous and disturbing? Id say that says more about you than the photo. Its a simple street scene background out of focus making the subject pop out towards the viewer. I guess you would prefer to just close crop the subject and toss away the background. Well to each his own I guess, shaking my head.
    Bynx,

this topic is in the (brutally honest) PHOTO critique thread and the OP wanted to know our opinion; even so the OP may since long not have connected anymore, considering when the photo was posted, we may continue to discuss the picture.

If you read my post carefully you will find that I am NOT in favour of a full crop.

I maintain my point that - while indeed it is an interesting street scene - the background is disturbing because it still shows to much detail not making the subject as outstanding as it could be, even so it benefits from having the leading lines of the stones on the floor (in the foreground).

But, as you said, to each one his own (without shaking my head).
    Last edited by Jerry_; 05-23-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links