headshot of an aspiring model

This is a discussion on headshot of an aspiring model within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; this is the picture of an aspiring model that I took a while ago. I had a fan. then I had the idea to blow ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

headshot of an aspiring model

this is the picture of an aspiring model that I took a while ago. I had a fan. then I had the idea to blow the hair and see what i get. I think it's an interesting picture.
    Name:  teen-model-picture-344.jpg
Views: 26819
Size:  54.2 KB

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Cute shot, but as a headshot, bin it! There's a reason that bras are called UNDERwear! Also for headshots, avoid things like the long, dangly ear-rings she's wearing, and perhaps try and get your key just a little higher and off to the left.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Try the front facing shot that will help you get the most and to make it look natural ask the model to look away from the lens. This will add great volumes to your head shot.
    What i like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.”
    Karl Lagerfeld

Check out great photography tips and trick. Learn with us.
    Photography Gears | Blog | Unique University

PHOTO EDITING OK
    For headshots you want to avoid things that pull attention away from the model - stuff like the jewelry, flying hair, bright colored clothing, etc. Also, your lights are very flat. Based on the reflection in her eyes, I'm guessing you used a single softbox or beauty dish up and to camera left. If you only use a single light in this manner, pull your model away from the wall so there is greater fall-off of the light. This will better separate her from the background, by making it darker.

As has been mentioned, you could do with a more punchy light as your key, and a bounce card would do well here.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    thank you all for your comments. this was just model headshots for her to send to agencies. I took a lot of pictures. we were having fun. so I brought the fan. usually, shooting young girls, I use either beauty lighting or modified (slightly to left or right but usually left). I wasn't sure this picture was good. sometimes you look at it subjectively. thanks again.

PHOTO EDITING OK

another of my favorites...

from that shoot was this one. as you may have guessed, some critiqued the bra showing up as a distraction. like I said earlier, it was an unpretentious model headshot for agency submission. all they look at is the look and the shape to see if the girl is model material.
    Name:  teen-model-picture-466.jpg
Views: 30855
Size:  71.4 KB

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpfocusphoto View Post
    from that shoot was this one. as you may have guessed, some critiqued the bra showing up as a distraction. like I said earlier, it was an unpretentious model headshot for agency submission. all they look at is the look and the shape to see if the girl is model material.
    You might want to talk to someone actually in the business; unless things are drastically different in your area then they are in North America all this one is going to get is a "Thank-you for your submission, we'll contact you if we have clients seeking this look" at best. Again, as with the first one, it's a cute picture, but her head is turned and her eyes are dark. Eye colour is VERY important in head shots, and since this is basically a comp-card image, her eye colour should be clearly visible.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

Equipment
    Canon 5D
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Agree with Tirediron i'm afraid..... if the agency want a head shot - they take a polaroid.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links