2 week old baby

This is a discussion on 2 week old baby within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. I recently took a few pictures of a 2 week old baby. (my ...

Thread: 2 week old baby

Equipment
    Canon T1i
    PHOTO EDITING OK

2 week old baby

I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. I recently took a few pictures of a 2 week old baby. (my first time with portraits) I don't have the original on this computer, but I can upload it later if needed. This is one of the first images I edited. I ran a few photoshop actions. I feel this photo needs a little something more. I would love any feed back.

Also, the white spot in the lower right corner...It's part of the blanket. Is it a disturbance to the photo? I feel the color in the baby's face doesn't correspond with the mother's hands? Thoughts?

Name:  Carson.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  42.5 KB

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Yeah, I'd crop out the blanked at the lower right corner.

The color does not bother me nearly as much as the overall graininess and underexposure of the whole shot. Is the original any better?

Equipment
    Canon T1i
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I will look at the original tonight and compare them. I am still learning/adjusting to using the settings manually. Most all my pictures indoors still seem underexposed. Thank you for the feedback, and I will post the original soon.

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I had the same inkling... that the hands look a bit pale as compared to the mother's and baby's faces. I'd probably just clone out the blanket. You could crop up (from the bottom.) I would probably not crop in (from the right) because that would give mom a half-cropped thumb. As a general guideline for cropping, half-features usually don't look good (which is why I would probably not crop from the right to eliminate the blanket.) And don't forget... you don't have to 'crop' it out, you could just 'clone' it out by blackening the corner to match the rest of the background.

Mom's skin is just a bit too pale. A touch of saturation (not too much... over-saturating would look worse than doing nothing) would help. It doesn't need to match the babies' color, but warming her skin up a bit will improve the shot.
    Tim Campbell

Equipment
    Canon T1i
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks Tim for the advise.

quandog I have attached the original photo. Any thoughts from the original compared to the "edited" one first posted?
    Name:  Picture 401small.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  86.1 KB

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links