Critique wanted

This is a discussion on Critique wanted within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; One of my first super macro shots using my Fujifilm finepix S9500 that I bought from Ebay for 100....

Thread: Critique wanted

PHOTO EDITING OK
    One of my first super macro shots using my Fujifilm finepix S9500 that I bought from Ebay for 100.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Love the composition. Great DOF control, great subject.

I do really wish that the lighting was not so obvious - the glare of the box light on the left is pretty bad, and the shadow of the camera itself on the right is very distracting.

Did you light it this way on purpose? Any way to subtly adjust the angles of the lighting/subject to remove the distractions?

PHOTO EDITING OK
    agree with the above ...looks like window reflection ....oddly enough I like the light from it to the right over the "5" ...the low angle brings out the grain of the watchface ...direct sunlight perhaps , slight yellow hue

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by quangdog View Post

I do really wish that the lighting was not so obvious - the glare of the box light on the left is pretty bad, and the shadow of the camera itself on the right is very distracting.

Did you light it this way on purpose? Any way to subtly adjust the angles of the lighting/subject to remove the distractions?
    i took it by the window and new to photography,all good comments thanks

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by quangdog View Post

I've been thinking about this image and the analysis for a while now. And I originally agreed with it.

But it occurred to me that maybe that window could have some significance in terms of meaning in the context of a chronograph, which this is an image of.

My own experience with photography, and art in general, is that sometimes we are but an instrument for something greater; that it's not just about our own mind, intention and planning, but rather something we sometimes come to recognize after the fact that we didn't see at the time we "captured" the image.

So from that perspective, I've asked myself, "what if that window light was "meant" to be there?

And if you think about it like that, then it seems some doors begin to open for interpretation that would otherwise be closed to a strictly representational perspective and context. I could go on at great length, trust me on that, with my own interpretations, but I am just curious as to whether you all can see what I'm saying and what you might suggest as reasons why it is as it is?

I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links