Dark Rustic Style Photo of Girl

This is a discussion on Dark Rustic Style Photo of Girl within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hey guys! I'm new here and super happy I could find a place where I can get some feedback on my photos. I really want ...

Hey guys! I'm new here and super happy I could find a place where I can get some feedback on my photos. I really want to improve as a photographer and any help and advice provided is greatly appreciated!

I haven't done a photoshoot for about 2 years and just started back-up yesterday. It was a last minute shoot (with a friends friend who has never modeled) which really didn't give me much time to prepare for the shoot but I figured it would be a great start-back-up shoot and a reason to wipe the dust off my camera ;-). So here are a couple images from my shoot yesterday. I was going for a dark and rustic feel so I darked the images a bit and added some scratch/grunge style overlays with photoshop throughout. Take a gander and please let me know where and how I can improve. Thanks so much for your help!

Onto my photographs for critiquing

Image 1

Image 2 - The lighting I think may be a bit too harsh on her face (huge shadow from nose) maybe this would have worked a bit better if her right side was more shadowed? Thoughts?

Image 3

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to your responses.

Just realized It may help to see the originals/unedited against the finished ones. Here they are to compare..

Thanks again everyone!

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3 - Too overexposed but still wanted to play with the image a little.

Image 1 - Your horizon is tilted. She has a branch growing out of her head (I clone these out). There is an overcast making the image look dull, so white balance needs correcting. She's soft. Sin tone is off and too desaturated, so levels should be raised. Too much skin smoothing. Your lighting is too harsh and creating shadows same as a flash would (it almost looks like headlights). This is my favorite of the bunch.

Image 2 - All the same editing issues as #1, plus the heavy texture. I like the idea, but something is weird about the composition. She's too centered and, to me. Maybe if she were leaning agains the tree... The pose does not look natural. She looks stiff.

Image 3 - Same thing. You wouldn't have had to do so much smoothing if your lights weren't so harsh. Smoothing as it is now looks as if you're trying to cover something up. The nose shadow...very distracting.

My advice: If I had to use this type of lighting I would have placed it MUCH further away diffused it somehow (like with a piece of opaque plastic like that of a milk carton. For example, if I were using headlights I would have cut up milk cartons and taped the bottom on them. : p Another thing is the DOF. I would have opened up more so that the building in the back would have been blurry. When I used to use my P&S, this wasn't an option, so I'd take severa shots with different blurs and exposures and them I would use different parts of each, as needed.

I like your SOOC's better than your edits. Very pretty girl. Her eyes remind me of my sister's.

Welcome!

Hmmm.

I'm certainly not technical with photographs (yet!)... but when I look at these pictures, i dont know.

You stated that you wanted to go for dark and rustic feel but I think it is more dark?
    I think the contrast between your model and the backgound may be too low in some pictures,
    since she seems to fade into the background.

(or am I saying stupid things? im just new of course)
    My blog, containing a lot more photos:
    http://bjornvansteenbergen.blogspot.com

Thanks so much guys :-) Doing some more shoots this weekend so I will keep those tips/comments in mind!

Thanks again I really appreciate it :-)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links