Critique My Post Processing, Please...

This is a discussion on Critique My Post Processing, Please... within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I recently had a vacation down in Mexico, and took this shot out the window of the plane just as we began our descent into ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I recently had a vacation down in Mexico, and took this shot out the window of the plane just as we began our descent into Mexico City. At the time I'd only owned my first DSLR for a few weeks (bought it for the trip) and was not yet shooting in manual mode or raw - so this was shot in landscape mode and originally saved as a .jpg. While there are several aspects of the shot that I like, I am really unhappy with the overall exposure and color balance, etc. So, I fiddled a bit this morning in photoshop and would like to know what you think - and especially how can I improve the final image?

So far I adjusted the levels a bit, increased the saturation of the main channel, then also increased the saturation of the blue, red, and a little bit of yellow. What else should I try?

Thanks!

Original:

Altered:

Larger sizes of both are in my gallery here:
    Mexico City Clouds Full Size Images

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice job on the processing but I'm not too keen on the blown highlight it created.

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Set the black and white points and straighten the horizon.
    Capture all the photons you want; the universe will make more.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    A bit light on the edit but that is a personal choice...since you allow editing, I thought I'd try this...

Straightened the horizon and edited it for a little more contrast and color...just my take not necessarily the only one!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulewings~ View Post
    A bit light on the edit but that is a personal choice...since you allow editing, I thought I'd try this...

Straightened the horizon and edited it for a little more contrast and color...just my take not necessarily the only one!

Neat! Did you simply saturate the whole thing and turn up the contrast here?

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi,

Nice capture and I like it. I agree with the other that the processing you did brought up HL a bit high, high to my view anyway.

I took a look at your Original in your gallery and IMO there is not much wrong with it at all. The image is about 1/3 to 1/2EV underexposed. A simple fix if your Elements8 has layers is to make a duplicate layer, change that layers blending to "Multiply". That gives you an increase of 1EV on the image so then reduce the opacity of that layer to 33% (1/3EV) and adjust from there while watching your histogram to take HL up without blowing and to suite your eye. IMO the image doesn't need much more then that but there are a few things that could be done that come to mind.

Here is an example fro your consideration. I brought up EV by 1/3 step and then on another layer painted (soft brush-low opacity) a bit with some light to put additional accent the light rays that already seemed to be present in the image.

Keep clicking.
    KimR

Comments and Critique are always encouraged, considered and appreciated. Thank in advance too.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    KimR: Sweet tips, and a neat edit on my original. Thanks for the advice!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by quangdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulewings~ View Post

Neat! Did you simply saturate the whole thing and turn up the contrast here?

Just worked with Topaz Adjust filter plug in a bit and did a small tweak which essentially did what KimR did in one step.

:P
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links