Getting the most out of the "Brutally Honest" section

This is a discussion on Getting the most out of the "Brutally Honest" section within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Welcome to the Brutally Honest Section! Before you decide to venture in, be aware that this is section is not for those who get their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting the most out of the "Brutally Honest" section

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Welcome to the Brutally Honest Section!

Before you decide to venture in, be aware that this is section is not for those who get their feelings hurt easily. Like any true critique, you should expect some criticism. After all, the process is meant to make you into something better than you were when you came in, so buckle up buttercup...

There's only a few things to keep in mind to make it easier on all who participate:

* Post one image per thread.
    * Critique! This does not mean "nice shot." Could be good, could be bad, but it will be BRUTALLY HONEST!
    * Allow us some time to respond.

Criticism does not mean that you have to sell your camera and take the job at McDonald's. It is simply the opinion of fresh eyes who are judging the image, it isn't personal. Everyone has different tastes and views, and all of us will try our best to provide those views based on our likes and dislikes.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus Studios View Post
    [b]Welcome to the Brutally Honest Section!

Before you decide to venture in, be aware that this is section is not for those who get their feelings hurt easily. Like any true critique, you should expect some criticism. After all, the process is meant to make you into something better than you were when you came in, so buckle up buttercup...

* Critique! This does not mean "nice shot."
    I would not discourage, "nice shot," or, "this does not work for me," and that's it. Some can not articulate why they like or dislike in specific terms. Some don't have the time to. Some just don't want to. All comments not personal or needlessly nasty should be welcome.
    Mike Lamb
    Canon Powershot - Point and Shoot
    http://artographybymikelamb.zenfolio.com/

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by mike lamb View Post
    I would not discourage, "nice shot," or, "this does not work for me," and that's it.
    There are 22 other sections for "nice shot"
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Quote Originally Posted by mike lamb View Post
    I would not discourage, "nice shot," or, "this does not work for me," and that's it.
    There are 22 other sections for "nice shot"
    Okee-doke.
    Mike Lamb
    Canon Powershot - Point and Shoot
    http://artographybymikelamb.zenfolio.com/

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Good clarification ... because I stink at critiques! Don't know diddly squat about giving a good one.
    I'll read and learn then.
    ...and maybe venture into one, if I'm brave enough!
    Thank you.
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Steve,

I think this is a great guideline; special cases excepted, of course. I also think it would be nice if MOD or one of the moderators would make this or a similar post into a sticky at the top of the forum.

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the Brutally Honest Section!

Everyone has different tastes and views, and all of us will try our best to provide those views based on our likes and dislikes.
    Perish the thought.

Professional critique in photographic organizations is as unbiased as possible and definitely NOT based on likes and dislikes. It deals with 2 areas: technique and composition. Technique is the technical strengths that contribute to the quality and effectiveness of the image. Composition deals with the artistic strengths and weaknesses that contribute or detract from the visual impact/visual interest in the image.

Cameron.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'd like to take issue with the phrase "brutal honesty". Although there is some cross-over in their formal definitions, honesty and candor are not the same thing. Honesty is admitting that you wrecked your wife's car. Candor is telling her she's fat. The former has virtue; the latter does not. Somehow we've managed to become a boorish society and hiding it under the phrase, "hey, I was only being honest", as though brutal insults were virtuous.

As Cameron points out, a critique is not based on likes and dislikes and deals with the technical areas of technique and composition, which both have definable standards. A good critique offers something positive, something negative, and something interesting. Although frank, it has nothing to do with brutality.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_KnowItAll View Post
    . A good critique offers something positive, something negative, and something interesting. Although frank, it has nothing to do with brutality.
    "A good critique offers something positive" only when there is something positive to offer. A "phoney positive" comment undermines the credibility of the person doing the critique. So, by all means try for something positive but if that is not possible...................at least be credible and realistic.

Cameron

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    "A good critique offers something positive" only when there is something positive to offer. A "phoney positive" comment undermines the credibility of the person doing the critique. So, by all means try for something positive but if that is not possible...................at least be credible and realistic.

Cameron
    There's generally always something positive -- even if it's "Hey you managed to stand on the correct side of the camera when you pressed the shutter button."

Everyone is at a different point in their skill progression. If you've been shooting for decades, remember that someone else may only have started shooting recently -- even very basic things to one person may be a valuable learning experience for someone else.

If you can't think of something positive, then re-evaluate the image at more basic/fundamental levels... How is the focus? Is it a correct exposure (even if it's not the best exposure)? etc.
    Tim Campbell

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links