What could be the problem?

This is a discussion on What could be the problem? within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I am using a Sony Alpha 100, at the time I was using the 75-300 zoom. It was set on Auto ISO and manual focus, ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

Smile

I am using a Sony Alpha 100, at the time I was using the 75-300 zoom. It was set on Auto ISO and manual focus, since it was at the extreme why use auto focus. Metering was multisegment, focus was wide, white balance was set for cloudy, it was very cloudy. Airshow at Willow Run in Michigan.

My static shots of the airplanes were fine but everytime I took a picture of them flying these poor quailty, low color shots happened. I am not sure what was wrong or what I was doing wrong.

Any and all tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Looks like your meter exposed for the sky, leaving the planes underexposed.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    You should have used the manual mode and set your aperture to f8/f11 and shutter speed depending on available light. Bracket a few frames changing only your shutter speed. If the shutter speed is too slow, open your aperture to 5.6 or lower.

Never trust the camera meter.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Never trust the camera meter.
    At least until you understand how yours thinks.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    In some cases the built in light meter measures light incorrectly exposing only for 1 part of a scene either the darkest or the brightest tone of grey/gray.

That's why I say

Never trust the (built- in) camera (light) meter

in the Humboldt Redwoods NW California coast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Not familiar with the Alpha 100, or that lens, but generally, I would try spot metering, get more exposure on aircraft, fix sky blown out by spot metering in PP, less ISO, shutter around 1/1600, f 8 to f5.6. and lock the focus to manual, set to infinity. Shoot at your fastest sequential speed and see what you get. Your focus is locked, but the light meter should change for every shot. Also, I would shoot that type of pic in RAW, so you'll have more chance of manipulating it. Each camera's light meter is a little different, even within the same models. My Oly E3 has a sensitive and persnickety light meter, and sensitive auto focus, too. It took me a couple of months to change my reactions to conform to it. Now, it reads the light, and focuses the way I want it to. Rich
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rich
    Olympus E system, Oly E3, E330, E500, ZD 12-60, ZD 50-200, ZD 7-14, ZD 50 macro, ZD 8mm fisheye, ZD 1.4x TC, ZD 2x TC, ZD 25mm ext. tube, and lots of off camera lighting equipment, but not enough, yet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stop the world, I want to get off.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thank you all for you input!!

I shall impliment the changes and see what comes of it.

There is an Airshow at Selfridge Aug 22-23rd

Hopefully your advise pays off!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links