Jefferson Memorial

This is a discussion on Jefferson Memorial within the Brutally Honest Photo Critique Requested forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Tuesday was such a nice day in DC I could not resist going downtown and shooting some pictures. These are my first posted pictures on ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Tuesday was such a nice day in DC I could not resist going downtown and shooting some pictures. These are my first posted pictures on the forum. I would appreciate any comments you have on them. Thanks!

~Elizabeth

Nikon D90
    Nikon D40
    Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF; Nikon 18-55mm AF-S; Nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S, Nikon 18-105mm VR

My Photobucket Albums

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Elizabeth, it looks like you really like columns!

#1 - the left side of the image is perfectly parallel to the edge, but the columns appear to be leaning. Perhaps this is distortion? It might be a good idea to try and fix the distortion in PS.

#2 - cool angle, I like it.

#3 - the angles are playing tricks on me! haha. I wish the boy was more in focus.

Welcome to the forum.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    #2 is my favourite

Just you, me and a few Friends Hangin out, doin what we enjoy
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    #2 is my favourite
    I am wondering if you are using the columns in#2 as framing or just pics of the columns? I mean I like that 1 the best, but maybe it would be much nicer if you had place something a little interesting in between them?

Nice pics all the same....there are sooo many things to take pics of where you are I am jealous. Such is life This is close as I got to the Jefferson Memorial as we just ran out of time to see everything.....

[attachmentid=17329]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon Rebel XTi
    Canon 50mm f/1.8.....Sigma 28-90mm f/2.8.....Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6.....Sigma 80-200 f/2.8.....Canon 28-135mmf/3-4.5

Recording History.......

My Profesional Page.....
    http://www.hodgesphotography.biz

[color="#000000"]Visit me on Face Book......

[url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Hodges-Photography-and-Design/200526194513?success=1&v=wall"]

PHOTO EDITING OK

Kennys: I promise I am not obsessed with columns...haha. The light that day coming through the columns was very dramatic but I was unable to capture it in the pictures. I see what you are saying about the first picture and I will see if I can somehow fix it.

yorshireman: That is my favorite as well.

Videomarc: Originally I was trying to capture the light coming through the two columns. But I think you are right it needed something else to make it alittle more interesting. I love taking pictures in DC there are so many possibilities.

Thank you for all the comments!

~Elizabeth

Nikon D90
    Nikon D40
    Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF; Nikon 18-55mm AF-S; Nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S, Nikon 18-105mm VR

My Photobucket Albums

PHOTO EDITING OK
    2 is my favore too.
    David Hume (1742)

Just you, me and a few Friends Hangin out, doin what we enjoy
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Videomarc: Originally I was trying to capture the light coming through the two columns. But I think you are right it needed something else to make it alittle more interesting. I love taking pictures in DC there are so many possibilities.

please feel free to call me marc

Thank you for all the comments!
    [/quote]
    Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon Rebel XTi
    Canon 50mm f/1.8.....Sigma 28-90mm f/2.8.....Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6.....Sigma 80-200 f/2.8.....Canon 28-135mmf/3-4.5

Recording History.......

My Profesional Page.....
    http://www.hodgesphotography.biz

[color="#000000"]Visit me on Face Book......

[url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Hodges-Photography-and-Design/200526194513?success=1&v=wall"]

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I like the last one because the boy adds scale to the columns, and some extra interest.

The first one may have looked better if you had panned left slightly, so that 3 columns were in the frame, and less blank sky. Also, the bushes are lacking detail in the dark areas - makes them look 2 dimensional.
    My photo blog
    I use a Canon EOS 40D + various lenses.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Photomage, thank you for your comments. The difference in scale between the boy and the columns is what made me take the picture. I was walking down the steps and just happened to turn around and thought that is a great shot. They only thing I dont like about that picture is that I took it so quickly before he got up that I did not make sure it was 100% in focus. Also, I see what you are saying about the bushes. I didn't realize how dark they looked at first becasue I was focusing on the sky.
    ~Elizabeth

Nikon D90
    Nikon D40

My Photobucket Albums

Destroyer
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    #1 my favorite... No fixes, great shots !
    My gear:
    -Canon EOS 350D
    My first real camera... I love it...
    -Canon EF 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    The standard Canon lens. It serves well.
    -Canon EF 85-300mm f/4-5.6 USM III
    A inexpensive, but good telephoto lens.
    -Exakta 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8
    It serves good for all purposes.
    -Edixa Flash
    Cheap flash. I use it very rarely.
    -Lowepro bag
    Great, small and very helpfull.

What I did:
    -National Geographic 2005. month award - best nature photo
    -Two exibithions and one group exibithion
    -Co-worker for a local newspaper