5 Basic Tips for Storing Your Photos

This is a discussion on 5 Basic Tips for Storing Your Photos within the Articles forums, part of the Photography Tips category; One of the main attractions of digital photography is the ability it offers to take plenty of snapshots without fear of having to leave salary ...

One of the main attractions of digital photography is the ability it offers to take plenty of snapshots without fear of having to leave salary during development. With the increasing capacity of storage cards and hard drives on the PC is no longer afraid to take as many pictures as you like, but ... Beware! If you get into the PC everything you take your camera as they run the risk of turning your photo file in a wastebasket where it is virtually impossible to find anything. In this article we give some tips to make your photo file remains useful.

Stay with only the best photos
    Create a folder on your PC is called, for example, Descartes, and has been there all the pictures are dark, they are blurry or lack of interest in any type of defect. If you have multiple nearly identical copies of the same name, stick with the 2 or 3 best. Let it whenever downloading photos from your camera to your PC will save you time later the management and review your photo archive.

Decide on your archive criteria
    Think of the view file that works best for you: chronologically, by event, by subject ... And it creates folders accordingly: either conventional folders, or folders within your storage program favorite images, or tags if the storage system you use is based on tags.

Additional data on your criteria
    It is often useful to add timing information (eg, month and year) because it helps to locate your photos. Many times you remember the time you took that picture, and if you take into account the date at the time of filing, it will be easier to recover that instant.

Back up
    Do not forget that, unfortunately, the PCs were damaged. Or are infected with virus. It also happens that sometimes delete files by mistake. It is essential to make frequent backups: you can use your DVD recorder for it.

Be consistent
    Having a photographic archive better or worse, rather than the software you use (you can have a good file without using any software) depends on the constant and organized you are. Especially if you take many, many photos. Be consistent: it is easier to maintain order each time to make great efforts in organizing every 12 months and that disorder prevails most of the time.

Visit My Website

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I'm a professional photographer and I violate nearly everything you've said. Put another way, I would offer advice that is nearly the opposite of what you've offered. Get a good piece of DAM (digital asset management ) software and use it. I use LightRoom, but there are a number of others to suit just about anyone's needs. Generally I only throw away photos that are extremely under or over exposed, or photos that don't have a sharp focus. Even then, I keep the photos of family and keep other images that have personal meaning.

My photo archive is currently around 200'000 images. My skills at post-processing and the capabilities of the latest generation of post-processing software are far better than just a couple of years ago. This means that I can go back and reprocess photos that I thought of thrashing at the time. I have done this and there are some gems in those old files now that I know how to process them.

I also stopped using DVDs for backup about two years ago. External disk-drives have become so cheap that I can make two copies of everything for the same price as the DVDs I'd need and archiving to a USB device is a heck of a lot easier to do than writing a few hundred DVDs. I bought a new pair of 3 TB drives today for under $250; $125 each. I'll copy all of my files onto the new pair of drives and then "archive" the old drives. I intend to replace two 2TB drives and two 1.5TB drives.

If the amount of material you have to archive is small enough to put on DVDs then you probably should consider using an online archive service. If you shoot in jpg then SmugMug is a really good option for storing your "precious" photos online. Zenfolio, PhotoShelter, and PBase also offer customized services for photographers. DVDs, unless they're "gold standard" are notorious for being un-readable after only a year or two. I've also found that about 1 in 10 DVDs fail a verification test at the time of writing.

So my point-of-view is very different. Keep almost everything; buy more external hard disks, store the old hard disks somewhere else, and get and use a good piece of asset management software -- LightRoom, PhotoMechanic, Adobe Bridge, and I'm sure there are several more that will help you mange all the cool photos you're taking.

Charles

BTW: Linking to DVD recorders on an auction site makes this whole post look suspiciously like a cloaked spam.

BTW2: So both Nikon and eBay are being automatically turned into links by the new owners. STAY THE %& OUT OF MY POSTS. THE BANNER ADS EVERYWHERE ARE BAD ENOUGH !!!!
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    ditto charles. i've got several hard drives that i back everything up on. one set stays at work, one set at home. recently i've been using dropbox to keep both sets up to date. in addition, zenfolio has a finished version they host of the photos i sell or took during a paid event, as well as a few more that are dear to me.

charles, i'm not seeing nikon and ebay being turned into links on my end. although i do agree the additional advertising is overkill.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I'm not seeing them anymore -- not since I installed ad blocker plus to Fire Fox.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    well, now i'm at work and it's definitely showing links. i miss my adblockerplus in firefox.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Dropbox Only provides 2 GB Space for Free.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    First define your backup requirement before choosing a backup solution.
    SOS Online Backup - Award Winning Online Backup Solution - PC Mag Editors Choice & Recommended by NY Times

PHOTO EDITING OK
    If you are looking for a digital asset management system to easily organize and manage your photos take a look at Pixfolia Image.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm Newbie to this forum. I am very happy to reading your 5 basic Tips for Storing Your Photos. Thanks for sharing with us. Everybody.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links