what kind of lighting to get

This is a discussion on what kind of lighting to get within the Articles forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I am kind of in the intermediate range of photography and am looking to improve. What I need right now are better light sources for ...

I am kind of in the intermediate range of photography and am looking to improve. What I need right now are better light sources for portraiture and maybe some wedding photography. My current (continuous) lights are just not bright enough. I am having a hard time deciding whether I should go with continuous lights or strobes. I feel more comfortable with continuous (due to the what you see is what you get aspect) lights, but I am willing to switch to strobe lights if that is what is best. I have some continuous light heads that I could put some higher watt bulbs in to produce more light, but since the bulbs are fairly spendy themselves, I'd like to make the smartest decision and if I'm going to start going with strobes, I'd rather just spend my money there instead of replacing the bulbs now and then spending a few hundred more soon on other lights. Any insight would be much appreciated. And if anyone knows of any specific lights that would work well that would be fantastic (ie what wattage or watt seconds).

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I know more about lighting theory than about light sources. by that I mean I could hardly tell someone 'buy this brand or that brand'. but what I do know is that for a serious photographer, continuous light won't just cut it. two issues, heat and bulk. there are also some safety issues. 'feeling comfortable with continuous lighting' really is not an issue because all strobes do have modeling lights, which allow you to visualize what you're gonna get. they may not be as bright as continuous light but that's not the point. the point is just to see how the light is gonna fall on the subject so you can control the ratio and the shadows. with digital cameras you already have the added benefit of visualizing the shot after capture. I started out with a basic kit 110 ws and 150 ws monolight, two stands and an umbrella. basic but you learn better with basic. when you feel comfortable and want to upgrade, you will have known so much about lighting that you wouldn't need to ask 'what kinda light do I need?'

Equipment
    Canon 6D Canon 35 f2 IS Canon 100 f2.8 Macro Canon 24-105 f4 IS Canon 70-200 f 2.8 L IS II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I Have 2 Canon 600 EX-RT and one NIssin 700 + one receiver for my Canon 6D.
    __________________________________________________ ____

Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta | Foto video nunta

PHOTO EDITING OK
    If photography suggests creating with light, after that lighting equipment is a photographer's pen. Including lighting gear to a digital photography package opens up countless imaginative possibilities to have fun with shadows, develop a glow, or include that shimmering source of light. However comprehending lighting is additionally one of the trickiest tasks for brand-new and intermediate professional photographers to deal with. So what is the best photography lights?

Equipment
    LensityFE
    PHOTO EDITING OK

what kind of lighting to get

Been reading this board as a new owner of Innovation and keep coming across the term "tech up" or "teching". Forgive the stupid question: What does that mean?

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Name:  hiring a photographer.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  136.3 KB

THIS is also the difference between a chap with a camera and a working Professional with 30+ years of experience, we all have to start somewhere I agree, good luck

If you are doing weddings don't make the laughable mistake of using a stofen OUTSIDE they are inside only

Use anything other than flash outside? is that what you are asking, never

IF you consider weddings I am a pro shooter, I get paid, do you have BOTH Public liability AND public indemnity insurance, TWO cameras with at least one having dual card slots for backup

I use Nikon SB910 units, four on occasion, with Pocket Wizards, a half decent setup is 1000 ish

If you are shooting just indoors then

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/elinch...o-set-1593854/

This does not include 2-300 for backdrops, stands, props,

If I were shooting weddings I would not go cheap, expect to be sued to the max if your gear or you screw up, hence Pub. indemnity ins, or your house
    Last edited by CanNik; 08-31-2019 at 05:17 AM.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links