Wild Rabbits

This is a discussion on Wild Rabbits within the Animals and Birds forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Bumping down an old dirt road, this little fellow went hopping across .... and stopped under a bush, thinking he was hidden. Of course, I ...

Thread: Wild Rabbits

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Bumping down an old dirt road, this little fellow went hopping across .... and stopped under a bush, thinking he was hidden. Of course, I had gone in search of landscapes, not wildlife so my camera was ready for that, with the Canon 18-55mm lens.

I knew he would disappear if I took the time to switch, and I was probably not going to get the shot anyway, so I just shot with what I had, from the drivers seat, with the engine running.

The dogs had not seen it, so it worked out, and we went our separate ways quietly.

On down the road, I came to something I really resent: an open gate with a No Trespassing sign on it. Resignedly, I backed down the road til I came to a spot wide enough to turn around. My dog Creeker signaled small prey in the area (he has different noises for different things. I know the difference between, "It's a deer!" and "It's a rabbit!") I looked out over the field behind us, and saw what looked like a rabbit-shaped stump. It was much too large to be a rabbit. Creeker was quite insistant that there was a rabbit out there, so I switched lenses and shot it.

This has to be the biggest jackrabbit I have ever seen in my life!
    And if you think the shot isn't very clear? Here is the original:
    [attachmentid=5033]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    It looks like you had a "cotton tail" day!!!
    I love how rabbits always think their hiding by standing still like the first shot!
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Arla - wonderful story and about the dogs too - great catch too - and thats one big rabbit!!!!!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    first one is cute. the setting thing happens to me all the time to. sometimes i forget to change from landscape to something else. messed up a lot of shots because of that.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks for commenting,

I am getting fairly handy with settings, but I seldom adjusted ISO with my previous camera, and I sometimes forget to check (it is not as convenient with the new camera, either). Lenses are a different matter altogether, because when I am out in the wild, I keep them in ZipLoc bags to keep the dust out as much as possible; so there again, a few seconds to switch can be the difference between getting a shot or not.

I got lucky with the second rabbit, because he apparently thought he was invisible (and he was to me, but not to my dog's nose), so I had time to switch to the Tamron 55-200mm. Otherwise, he would have been just a blurry stump.

I NEED MORE ZOOM!

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Canadian Captioneer
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    wow that is an epic jackrabbit!! Good thing your dogs have Rabbit ESP or you might have missed it!
    Cannon Ixus I5

Cannon EOS 350D

Website: www.freewebs.com/alexmacks (B&W section currently down)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Running around with a pack of dogs has its drawbacks -- I never see any wildlife when we are walking, because they spook everything long before I get a shot. I have been lucky to get a lizard.

In the vehicle with windows down, though, Creeker can be a real asset, with that nose of his.
    I guess I'll keep 'im. :P

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Neat shots! I know what you mean about dogs and wildlife. I missed a great shot the other day of a black bear in our yard. My dog fears them something terrible, by the time I got her in the house and looked all over for the camera it was gone and went into the woods. There has been a bear here every summer for the past 3 years, I am sure it will be back, just hope it is in the daytime so I can get a shot of it.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks, Barb!

I think your dog is pretty smart! I don't know if mine would be so ... he can be foolish, at times.

I would love to get a shot of a bear (not in Yellowstone Park or a zoo).
    Maybe in Hell's Canyon, next week -- I have seen them there, and they come into my brother's yard sometimes. Fingers will be crossed.

www.GreatBasinLife.com

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links