Horse Portraits

This is a discussion on Horse Portraits within the Animals and Birds forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; A friend of mine asked if I would like to use her daughters horse as a portrait subject. There are lots of extremely rich owners ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse Portraits

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    A friend of mine asked if I would like to use her daughters horse as a portrait subject. There are lots of extremely rich owners that the stables in question all potential paying portrait seekers.

I figured on well presented pack of images might stir up some interest.

I have printed some of the 10 images i intend to present, they have all been stunning in terms of clarity and quality.

Opinions please!

Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nikon D700 / D40 - Nikon 16-35mm, Nikon 50mm F1.8 Prime, Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, Sigma 70-300 F4

www.pmc-photography.co.uk

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    That is one great portrait Patrick!
    I like that you shot it from a lower angle - that what I find myself doing for horse photography.

I wish you luck with selling your portraits!
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks Jen,

I liked this one! The lower angle does create a nice perspective.

A little un nerving though with all that power just feet away.

Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nikon D700 / D40 - Nikon 16-35mm, Nikon 50mm F1.8 Prime, Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, Sigma 70-300 F4

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    What a great idea - all the best in your venture Patrick - just don't forget us poor mortals on Photoforum when you are rich and famous. Love the portraits and keep us informed how everything is going

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    What a great idea - all the best in your venture Patrick - just don't forget us poor mortals on Photoforum when you are rich and famous. Love the portraits and keep us informed how everything is going

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    they are very nice..

it seems that you have to shoot from a lower angle with horses, or they look disproportionate... barrel too big, legs too short. they're a hard animal to photograph! (it never fails that they flick an ear back as soon as you hit the shutter!!!!)

i have a friend who did a photo shoot for one of my horses, to see some of her shots, and perhaps grab some posing ideas, you can visit my (sad) website:

http://pic1.piczo.com/CashsSuperSlick/?g=25695457&cr=1

and some of my shots:

http://pic1.piczo.com/CashsSuperSlick/?g=26545648&cr=1

it's fairly obvious which ones are hers compared to mine.. LOL

there are specific poses a lot of horse owners look for when buying photos.

a popular gig around here is a mobile photo store at our horse shows. computer, photo printer and photographer set up. the photographer snaps like crazy all day long, anything on site, and then uploads continuously to their computer. generally they have a helper sitting at the system waiting for customers.

you can then browse the photos, pick your favourites and have them printed/paid for on the spot. generally $10 for one page containing 2 - 5x7.

best of luck in your endevours!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~ Julie~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shooting with a Canon EOS 350D, Canon 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 II & Canon 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Julie,

Many thanks for the web site links,,, there both great and dont underestimate your own,, there great!!

I am somewhat of a perfectionist and would seek to have a pure un-cluttered image. This is difficult in the world of horses i know. Another point i agree with is the horse's ability to move its head or drop its ears just as you release the shutter lol, I took 150 images to get approx 8 useable ones (in my opinion) but not being a pro i dont know what the artio should be.

Thanks for your advice,,, its greatly appreciated

patrick

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    no problem! horses are my ultimate passion! i figured it had taken a lot of frames.. lol even 'professional' horse photographers go through a lot of shutter clicks i suspect!!

one trick is to have a candy wrapper in your pocket.. ROFL.. just before you click, have someone rustle the wrapper.. or go 'pssst-pssst-psssst' softly and it usually works!

if you make too loud of a noise, they flick their ears back with worry and bug out their eyes. NOT attractive!

ok, i'm going to stop rambling now.

like i said.. horses = passion!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~ Julie~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shooting with a Canon EOS 350D, Canon 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 II & Canon 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yes!!!

the horse in question responds very well to a kissing sound,, god help me if my friends saw me blowing kisses to this stunning animal on a sunday afternoon.

He was a total gent and dint even flinch with the one or two flash shots i took,, amazing!

Patrick

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Julie, this is what makes this forum so great - people willing to share ideas and help with advice -

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links