My favorite animal...

This is a discussion on My favorite animal... within the Animals and Birds forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    My favorite as well.

I like the composition of #1, but I wish the horse was a bit cleaner.

I'd stay away from the straight on look of #2. A pro horse photographer once told me to never shoot them straight on, they look like frogs. It's good advice.

I'd clean the horse up a bit. Make it shine. Show it off nice!
    -Laura-
    Digital: Olympus E-410- Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 40-150

Film:
    Olympus OM-2 (35mm film) -Zuiko 50mm- Zuiko 75-150mm- Soligor 28mm- Sigma 35-70mm Macro

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by WetBottom View Post
    My favorite as well.

I like the composition of #1, but I wish the horse was a bit cleaner.

I'd stay away from the straight on look of #2. A pro horse photographer once told me to never shoot them straight on, they look like frogs. It's good advice.

I'd clean the horse up a bit. Make it shine. Show it off nice!
    I would love to clean this horse up and take more shots of him/her, but it isn't mine! LOL This was just a horse I took pictures of while riding around the countryside.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Beautiful horse.

One of my favorite pictures of my little red mule is straight on...of course the title to it is~ *Does this angle make me look fat?*

Horses are tough models, they usually are always moving.
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulewings~ View Post
    Horses are tough models, they usually are always moving.
    This is why I like to shoot in shutter priority. Shooting fast is usually the thing I need the most. If they aren't moving, their head is on the ground and they certainly aren't attractive.

Since horse photography is it's own genre there's a challenge of always trying to make it different, special, and beautiful... at least for me.

As this wasn't your horse, I think best you could do is shoot it in attractive light. You got good eye contact going on! Try to hide the dirt as much as you can. It's just not attractive... it might be cute, but it's not pretty, ya know? Try going back and shooting just as the sunrises or sets. I shoot lots of shots of horses in their paddocks, mostly my own and friends horses. I try to make sure if they're dirty the shot is cute. Look for cute poses, cute behavior...something worth shooting a dirty horse. Hope that makes sense.

I try not to shoot straight on, but I have some favorite shots of horses who are filthy and shot straight on, but there's something SPECIAL there. I have one of a young stallion with his blanket all ripped up. It's not an award winner, but it's cute and silly.
    -Laura-
    Digital: Olympus E-410- Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 40-150

Film:
    Olympus OM-2 (35mm film) -Zuiko 50mm- Zuiko 75-150mm- Soligor 28mm- Sigma 35-70mm Macro

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." Dale Carnegie

Very nice!

Equipment
    Canon 7D
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice capture!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links