Favorite Lens for Wildlife?

This is a discussion on Favorite Lens for Wildlife? within the Animals and Birds forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; I am new to the forum and have recently begun exploring photography again. I was curious what everybody's favorite lens is for getting good shots ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I am new to the forum and have recently begun exploring photography again. I was curious what everybody's favorite lens is for getting good shots of birds and animals. Some of them can be a huge investment for a non-professional.

Edit: Sorry this should probably be in another area.
    Nikon D5000

PHOTO EDITING OK
    My Favorite is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS Kit Lens. $387 AUD and worth every penny.

Because it's all I have at the moment, I do the best I can with what I have.
    One day I will have a big white lens, I can feel it. :P

Pete
    For the invisible things of God, from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that we are without excuse:

I'm planning on buying Canon 70-200mm f4 real soon.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I am near the odd man out here on the forum in shooting Olympus I think so I suppose you are shooting another brand too so this info on my lenses may be null for you but your question was not brand specific so here you go;

Probably the best wildlife lens I have is the 50-200mm ED Zuiko for sharpness, etc., it is a weather sealed lens too so it goes on in any poor conditions such as rain, snow, dust, crawling through the mud, etc. I guess I would have to say this one is my favorite because if it came down to picking only one to keep this would more then likely be the one.
    Near any lens I use for wildlife will have a converter (1.4 Zuiko) between it and the camera so the 200mm is shot at 283mm, the 500mm at 708mm etc and with Oly cameras it is a 2x factor in equivalent 35mm film. I have on a Sigma 50-500mm on a camera the most I suppose, that is because of the reach I can get from it not because it is the favorite lens.
    Now a year ago I added the 70-300mm Zuiko (standard grade) when it was on sale for about 240 bucks as it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and I have been very impressed with that lens. The 70-300 takes a bit more light then the 50-200mm but in good light it is a very nice lens and by far the best lens for the money of any I have (if weather sealing is not considered).
    All of these lenses have Image Stabilization but that IS is in the cameras and not in the lenses so IS was only paid for once.

I hope you will enjoy the forum and that you will be posting some images soon. Welcome aboard.

KimR

Comments and Critique are always encouraged, considered and appreciated. Thank in advance too.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    70-200 f/2.8. Mine's the older version from Sigma, around $800.00. Got a used 1.4x Teleconverter that stays on it most of the time.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    difficult question depends on the situation
    one time I use a 400mm prime, a 70-200 mm or 300-800mm

Kind regards,
    Korandoke
    Regards,
    Korandoke
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    My webpage

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    had a sigma 135-400 4-5.6 that i loved for that i'd have to say 300mm and up though. they get kinda itchy if the know you look'n lol

rick
    JUST BE NICE THATS ALL.
    Richard Olson
    http://www.photographixms.com
    email photographix08@yahoo.com

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links