Rare Visitor

This is a discussion on Rare Visitor within the Animals and Birds forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; In Feb. of 2005 a rare visitor came to Oregon. It was a Northern Hawk Owl and this was only the 3d confirmed sighting of ...

Thread: Rare Visitor

PHOTO EDITING OK
    In Feb. of 2005 a rare visitor came to Oregon. It was a Northern Hawk Owl and this was only the 3d confirmed sighting of this bird in the state. I heard about it and followed up with some research on the sighting, location, etc. It was confirmed to be still in the area (Bend, OR) and so I loaded up the camera, some other gear and went to spend some time hoping to see the bird and also hoping for some good images. I spent a total of 3 1/2 days from daylight till dark in the area the bird was hanging out in. I got to at least observe it each day with my scope and/or binoculars. The photo-op was hindered by the private property the bird was usually on, the landowners not wanting to allow access and the distance away the bird was staying. I spent enough time there that I did get a few images when the bird happened to come closer. Images were poor ones for the most part and taken in very bad lighting in early morning or near dark at night. All and all it was a good experience and since then as my pp skills and technology have both improved I was recently taking another look at the images. Here are a couple of the better ones, not to good but not the worst ones I took either and they are possibly the only ones that I may get of a Northern Hawk Owl.

This one taken in AM low light, heavy overcast and at considerable distance. Processed heavily to salvage and cropped to show.

These two taken in PM near dark, heavy overcast and at considerable distance. Processed heavily to salvage and cropped to show.

The bird showing up was a 'big deal' and I was quite surprised to see the stir it caused. I actually meant folks there that flew on commercial flights from the East Coast to Portland, OR, rented vehicles, drove several hours to see the bird so that they could put if on their Life List of Birds and then were driving back to Portland to catch a flight and return to the East Coast the same day. That seemed off the wall to me but interesting too. Here is a image of a typical scene of Birders usually present each day I was in the area -

KimR

Comments and Critique are always encouraged, considered and appreciated. Thank in advance too.

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Wow. That's cool. I wouldn't think of making a flight like that for the sake of seeing a bird, but then again, that's why I'm not a birder I guess... They wonder why we have all that silly camera equipment!

I think the pix came out good. Wildlife is tough and requires the right equipment and tons of patience, for sure. Doesn't help when the property owner won't let you get closer. But then again, he didn't ask for the bird to show up in his trees, either.

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinPhotoWorks View Post
    Wow. That's cool. I wouldn't think of making a flight like that for the sake of seeing a bird, but then again, that's why I'm not a birder I guess... They wonder why we have all that silly camera equipment!

I think the pix came out good. Wildlife is tough and requires the right equipment and tons of patience, for sure. Doesn't help when the property owner won't let you get closer. But then again, he didn't ask for the bird to show up in his trees, either.
    I know a lot of "Birders" and as with any other group of people (including photographers) there are some pretty strange ones out there. Some are really anti-photographer and make accusations of harassment of wildlife, etc. while putting "photographers' all into on generalized group. Go figure? I have my own theory on that and I think at least some of them are anti-photographer for other reasons then what they claim. My theory is that they are really anti-photographer because of fear, their own fear of mis-identification of a bird and being shown they were in error (my theory and only a theory).

As the land the bird was usually on had burnt (lightning caused range fire) some time prior to this and consisted mostly of dead juniper trees the access denial seemed a bit selfish but I respect their private property rights including those to deny access if they make that choice. One particular person objected to people even looking at the bird with a scope when it was on their property thought and that was a bit radical as they had no right to prevent a view across or of their property from public areas.
    KimR

Comments and Critique are always encouraged, considered and appreciated. Thank in advance too.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    We have serious birders on this side of the pond that do exactly the same thing-only over here they're known as "twitchers"

A nice bird to have ticked on a list
    Karin

Taking photos that please me, but if you like them too then it's a bonus!

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Interesting.

Well, with all due respect to the hobby/profession of being a birder, I can now check off Northern Hawk Owl. This is as close as I need to get! ('Hey Ralph, look, today I saw a parrot!" - How many of you remember that Honeymooner's episode!?)

Anyway- can any of those birders claim that they were bitten by a penguin AND a tucan? Ha! I think not! I have been! (They were love bites - and the only harm was to my ego!)

Regards,
    Marlo

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Oh wow, that's really a beautiful bird! It's also quite interesting to see all those people with their cameras gathered together to catch of pic of this bird. Neat!! You really have some quite interesting opportunities for subjects.
    Geri
    People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life. ~Faith Resnick

Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR, Nikon TC-17E teleconverter.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by spotted1 View Post
    Oh wow, that's really a beautiful bird! It's also quite interesting to see all those people with their cameras gathered together to catch of pic of this bird. Neat!! You really have some quite interesting opportunities for subjects.
    Geri,

Those are not people with cameras those are Birders with spotting scopes, no one there has a camera. They do however have some very powerful (& expensive) optics and some of those scopes cost more then our camera.
    KimR

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I guess I have a photographer's perspective for sure, but for all the airline tickets and expensive spotting scopes, they walk away with a check box in a log book and a memory- no photo.

I guess that's why my hobby is photography and not birding.

Regards,
    Marlo

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Oh wow, I see. That seems a bit crazy to me as well. All that money, and nothing to show for it, other than a check mark on a list. I'd definitely rather invest in camera equipment for sure.
    Geri
    People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life. ~Faith Resnick

Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR, Nikon TC-17E teleconverter.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links